An EU industrial strategy towards climate-neutrality Ifri-InnoEnergy Conference
The European Union (EU) enters a new political cycle and the Commission President-elect von der Leyen committed to propose a “Green Deal” in her first 100 days in office, with the ultimate ambition of making Europe the first climate-neutral continent.
Earlier this year, the Commission was invited to present a new “long-term EU industrial strategy” by the end of 2019. This can be a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone: addressing the civilizational challenge of climate change, while creating quality jobs and ensuring the technological sovereignty of Europe.
To fuel the debate on the right policy toolbox and provide valuable insights to the new EU policy makers, the French Institute for International Relations (Ifri) and EIT InnoEnergy are jointly hosting a one-day high-level conference on the industrial dimension of the EU’s energy and climate strategy.
Following keynote speeches by the EU institutional triangle, the discussion will be articulated around three successive roundtables, each one addressing a prominent transversal aspect of the shift towards climate-neutrality: the human, policy and financial dimensions.
This conference will be held in English.
9.00 - 9.30 Registration & coffee
9.30 - 10.30 Keynote speeches
- Juho Korteniemi, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland
- Ditte Juul-Jørgensen, Director-General to DG Energy, European Commission
- Vice-Chair of ITRE Committee, European Parliament (tbd)
10.30 - 12.00 Workers, Researchers, Consumers, Entrepreneurs, Citizens: the key role of the human factor in the energy transition
- Marc Nézet, Senior Vice-President Innovation, Schneider Electric
- Giles Dickson, CEO, WindEurope
- Arnaud Chaperon, Senior Vice-President European Affairs, Total & SAFT Batteries
- Samantha Smith, Director of the Just Transition Centre, International Trade Union Confederation (tbc)
- Prof.Dr.ir. Frank Gielen, Education Director, InnoEnergy
- Ewelina Wójcik, Expert Energy and Industrial Transition, Climate, South Poland House (tbc)
- Dirk Vansintjan, CEO, RESCoop.EU
Moderated by Ifri
12.00 - 13.00 Networking Lunch
13.00 - 14.30 Standards, norms, incentives: which policy toolbox to create European low-carbon value chains?
- Gwenole Cozigou, Director Industrial Transformation and Advanced Value Chains, DG GROW, European Commission
- Nils Anders Røkke, Executive Vice-President, SINTEF (tbc)
- Emilie Alberola, Director of Research & Innovation, EcoAct (tbc)
- Vincent Thouvenin, Director European Affairs, RTE
- Øyvind Vessia, Head of European Affairs, Ørsted
- Pierre-Alain Gautier, Head of Corporate Strategy, Eramet (tbc)
- Guy Ethier, SVP Environment, Health & Safety, Umicore
Moderated by Ifri
14.30 - 16.00 How to finance a climate neutral continent?
- Jochen Hierl, Principal Adviser, European Investment Bank
- Christophe Desrumaux, Partner Venture, Demeter
- Société Générale (tbc)
- Mario Nava, Director Horizontal policies, DG FISMA, European Commission (tbc)
- Michel Matheu, Head of EU Strategy and Stakeholder Relations, EDF
- Emmanuel Forest, Member of the Mission Board for Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities & Exec. VP of Bouygues (tbc)
Moderated by InnoEnergy
16.00 - 16.30 Concluding remarks
- Pascal Canfin, Chair of ENVI committee, European Parliament (tbc)
For more information, please contact Cécile De Cordier: firstname.lastname@example.org