RAMSES 2021. At the Edge? RAMSES 2021, September 2020
RAMSES 2021. At the Edge?, written by Ifri's research team and external experts, offers an in-depth and up-to-date analysis of geopolitics in today’s world.
- In "Perspectives", the opening section of RAMSES 2021, Thierry de Montbrial, founder and Executive Chairman of Ifri, provides an analysis of the state of global affairs.
- Three main questions are treated in the second section, "Trois enjeux pour 2021":
- Global Health/Climate: COVID-19, what now?: The coronavirus is emblematic of globalization: no one controls or masters its spread. Who is governing? There is no specific governance for such global matters as health, environment, information…
- Europe: redo or undo: As usual, reviews of the European Union are mixed: pale but decisive, unavoidable. Should it be redone or undone? Should Europe think of itself as a political project or subsist as a mere safety net: these are options facing the Conference on the Future of Europe.
- Middle East: 10 years after the false spring: The post-spring decade and the coronavirus crisis go side by side: reinforcement of control over civil societies, growing weight of authoritarian regimes, meltdown of the global economy, and an important division of societies in rebellion.
- The third section, Le Monde en questions, offers a thorough study of recent conflicts, strategies, and important international negotiations.
- The final section, Les Repères, presents a mix of statistics, timelines and original maps.
RAMSES 2021 also includes 8 videos featuring Ifri researchers providing concise analysis of the most critical issues in international affairs.